propshaft : Hi kneedrag Welcome to the Parkflyers Channel

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

HobbyKing Multiwii Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port
Redbull air ace
From Wellington
Group:
Registered Users
Seeing as there is a flood of new boards coming on the market I thought I'd pick up a cheap one to chuck in a copter that didn't have a flight controller (Basti also has one of these on order so it'll be interesting to see if he gets as good performance). Coming in at a massive $26 it is well worth the money, has gyro, acel, mag and baro so basically a full house board. IF you wished adding GPS wouldn't be are ether.
The serial adapter is built onto the board so all you have to plug in is a miniB usb cable which is another great feature, I would have liked to see the serial lines broken out so I could use a bluetooth dongle for wireless tuning but owell.

The board is effectively a re branded SE V1.0 board as it has all the same sensors and luckily in the same orientation to. Out of the box I chucked on one of the new dev versions (comes with 2.1 qaud X loaded) tweaked the yaw P term and added .33 throttle PID attenuation and .33 to the rates on all axis.
Flew pretty dam well in fast forward flight and was really responsive, aerobatics were a little sluggish but recovery was enough to get out of a tight spot. All flying was done in horizon mode which I quite like. It should be great when I fine tune it.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 17:56

Edited by cardboard on 2012/10/30 17:57:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: HobbyKing Multiwii Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port
Guest_
that is great value , i remeber when it cost $145 for a gyro only board, and that was 18 months ago

prados law ? the price of everything either halves every 18 months or doubles in capacity

Posted on: 2012/10/30 22:41

Redbull air ace
From Wellington
Group:
Registered Users
Moore's law - The law is named after Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore, who described the trend in his 1965 paper. The paper noted that the number of components in integrated circuits had doubled every year from the invention of the integrated circuit in 1958 until 1965 and predicted that the trend would continue "for at least ten years". His prediction has proven to be uncannily accurate, in part because the law is now used in the semiconductor industry to guide long-term planning and to set targets for research and development.

but yes I do remember the first versions on multiwii, going out buying wii controllers for $40 a piece and having acel and gyro only. Things have come a very long was in a relatively short time.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 22:50

Edited by cardboard on 2012/10/30 22:52:41

Redbull air ace
From Wellington
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone getting this I have just confirmed that you are 100% safe to use the #define CRIUS_SE. In fact the lines of code in the files tab in hobbyking are wrong, they have commented the z of the mag upside down. I uploaded it to confirm and the mag went wild.

Likewise some of the pin assignments are wrong/missing/misslabeled, depending on your setup it will differ from copter to copter.

On a side note I am planning of moving the mag, ether taking it off the board or just disabling it and using another one. Due to the frames I use (DJI style with the integrated power) the mag being so close to 2 planes of power causes it to have constant error which although is ok for headfree and head hold it makes any PH or RTH unusable.

The DJI naza gets around this by putting there mag in the GPS pod which sits well above the copter. I plan on a similar setup.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 19:03

3D master
From Christchurch
Group:
Registered User - Bruce discussion
Got mine today, been building tricopter! Got my board plugged into the pc happily sending data back to the gui, I used these instructions from the files tab http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/st ... ds/189478565X846863X3.pdf, I didn't go #define CRIUS_SE though, the above instructions said #define FREEIMUv035_BMP so that's what I used.

A question - I want to run my front props contra rotating so the tail only has to correct one propellor's worth of torque, do I need to specify the motor direction anywhere or will the board handle the props being spun in any direction?

Posted on: 2012/11/2 23:07

Redbull air ace
From Wellington
Group:
Registered Users
I just checked the code and the def you used is the same as the one in the tabs file but with a different name. use the GUI to double check the mag works in all orientations. Using that define the mag was perfectly fine level but as the board was tilted the mag would flick almost 180 degress.
if you read through that doc you linked you will find this which points it out as well
": #define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = -Y;
magADC[PITCH] = X; magADC[YAW] = Z;} note this has to be
entered manually, not already there but commented out…else
compass heading is off 90deg"

so deff use crius se as your board type
or make the edit
just make 100% sure all sensors show the data you expect.

The crius also does not use the internal pullups, If they failed enough to not inform people of the mag orientation I dont know if it'll need the internal PUs or not.

And you don't need to, yaw isn't mixed into the front motors, all they control is pitch and roll which is done by thrust not torque.

But being your first multi copter I may suggest you tether it down for the first few hops into the air so that if anything has gone wrong it wont hurt its self or yourself. And for the first power up LEAVE THE PROPS OFF, more times then I'd like to renumber Iv'e swapped left and right motors then had it come at my arm with spinny blades.

oh post some pics to

Posted on: 2012/11/3 1:20

Edited by cardboard on 2012/11/3 1:27:51
Edited by cardboard on 2012/11/3 1:30:56
Edited by cardboard on 2012/11/3 1:31:51

Guest_
Quote:

basti wrote:
A question - I want to run my front props contra rotating so the tail only has to correct one propellor's worth of torque, do I need to specify the motor direction anywhere or will the board handle the props being spun in any direction?

nope, you can run any direction props on the front, and just set the tail angle accordingly to correct the tourque, the board dosent care

Posted on: 2012/11/3 8:58

3D master
From Christchurch
Group:
I did manualy enter that line (I followed those instructions exactly) but I'll go back and un#define that and just do the CRIUS_SE. I'll also leave the internal pullups enabled.

Attached are some pics of it, I followed this build pretty well exactly http://rcexplorer.se/projects/2011/09/the-tricopter-v2-5/ . It's not quite done but I had the motors spooled up last night (without props) and they seemed to be reacting the right way.

One thing I couldn't immediately figure out is how to turn down the yaw rate that gets read from the stick input - I'm using a direct drive servo so having the rudder stick fully to one side makes the yaw mechanism move too far and the servo strains. Any way of correcting this in the software or do I have to do it on my tx? I tried turning the endpoints down which made it move less but then I couldn't use the yaw stick to arm/disarm it.

Attach file:

jpg  104_0240.JPG (818.57 KB)
1616_50941c47c6c07.jpg 1536X1152 px

jpg  104_0241.JPG (774.07 KB)
1616_50941e31a2b53.jpg 1536X1152 px

jpg  104_0242.JPG (690.27 KB)
1616_50942904bd733.jpg 1536X1152 px

Posted on: 2012/11/3 9:13

3D master
From Christchurch
Group:
Hmm you might be right the heading doesn't seem to be working properly. I tried changing to CRIUS_SE and commenting out the #define MAG line but it's still not right. Might have to try fiddling with that #define MAG

Posted on: 2012/11/3 12:33

Redbull air ace
From Wellington
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Hmm you might be right the heading doesn't seem to be working properly. I tried changing to CRIUS_SE and commenting out the #define MAG line but it's still not right. Might have to try fiddling with that #define MAG

The mag is the most sensitive sensors on the board and is effected by everything even the pcb it is on, power wires will upset it the most though. Makes sure you do the calibration procedure as well.

Do you want a copy of my code already set up and working? It's a newer dev version so is a bit more refined then 2.1 and the gui has been done over to. I also put aux 2 onto pin 12 if you didn't figure out that trick already.

Quote:
One thing I couldn't immediately figure out is how to turn down the yaw rate that gets read from the stick input - I'm using a direct drive servo so having the rudder stick fully to one side makes the yaw mechanism move too far and the servo strains. Any way of correcting this in the software or do I have to do it on my tx? I tried turning the endpoints down which made it move less but then I couldn't use the yaw stick to arm/disarm it.

Use expo on your radio to tame down the sensitivity. If you need to tweak the end points to stop the servo binding there is a section in the config.h that allows you to set specific tricopter setting, like servo endpoints. You can also use roll to arm/disarm unless you commented that out.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 15:43

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Who's Online
36 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 36

more...
Search
Polls